Gonzales Volunteer Fire Department
Application Process for Volunteer Firefighters
Phase 1 – The application
- 1. Applications are available from the Gonzales Volunteer
Fire Department or Gonzales City Hall. Complete two applications:
Gonzales Volunteer Fire Department and City of Gonzales. Return
applications to City Hall.
- 2. An interview will be scheduled with the executive committee
from the Gonzales Volunteer Fire Department.
- 3. The executive committee will forward a recommendation to the
Gonzales City Manager.
Phase 2 – The Conditional Offer
The City Manager may make a conditional offer to the applicant
for a position on the Gonzales Volunteer Fire Department. This
offer will be conditioned on successful physical exam, drug test,
background check, and a clean (less than 3 points) driving record.
Phase 3 - Acceptance
All volunteer firefighters are at will.
- 1. The Gonzales Medical Group will perform the physical exam.
The forms for the exam will be provided with the conditional
offer of a position. The applicant will schedule the exam, Saturday
and evening appointments may be available. The city will pay
for this exam. Forms are to be returned to City Hall.
- 2. The Gonzales Police Department will arrange the drug testing
after successful completion of the physical exam. The City Manager,
or assistant, will issue a control number to the applicant,
call 675-5000. This control number will be given to the Police
Chief, or designee, when a sample is provided. The applicant
should call the Police Chief, 675-5010, and schedule the testing.
The Police Chief can make arrangements after normal hours if
- 3. The Gonzales Police Department will conduct a sufficient
background investigation based on the Release of Information
Agreement. This agreement MUST be notarized.
- 4. The applicant shall provide to the city for review, a DMV
printout of driving record, three points maximum on driving
record must be maintained while a member of the Gonzales Volunteer
- 1. After results are received by the City Manager, the applicant
will be notified.
- 2. The Fire Chief may swear in the applicant as a probationary
firefighter at the earliest convenience after all conditions are
- 3. Probation will be a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 1
- 4. A probationary candidate may be terminated at any time without
- 5. After fulfilling the probationary requirements, the Fire
Chief shall submit a written report to the City Manager for
determination of successful probationary period.